This group project was not the best experience, but it was not wholly a negative one either. During the entirety of the project process I would have to say that I have gained a lot of experience in terms of new technology and dealing with different kinds of people. This project was centered on creating a rubric to assess an online game that our group found educational. Although, the task that we were assigned seemed simple enough our group had quite a bit of trouble completing the task. In the following, I will describe the process we went through when devising our group's rubric, the efficacy of the game in general and in terms of my content area.
For our group it seemed a bit difficult for everyone to agree on whether the rubric should be in general or catered specifically to our game. Unfortunately, in the end our group ended up with two rubrics, but the less specific rubrics was turned in. In terms of the criteria, we had a relatively easy time agreeing on what to include, with the exception of one criterion. We had decided on four basic criteria to consider in assessing the educational game: Interaction, Creative Appeal, Progression, and Educational Value. We derived these criteria from what we thought were the best aspects of our game. In the less detailed rubric this was blatantly apparent. Actually, these aspects and their corresponding components in the game are listed in that version of our rubrics. In the second rubrics we incorporated the same criteria, but in a more generalized way so that they may be applied to other games as well. Also, in the second rubrics, we tried to describe exactly what a high or low score in each criterion would entail. I am not satisfied with the rubrics that we turned in, but I do believe that the aspects addressed in both rubrics were appropriate even if they were not completely comprehensive.
The game that we chose was Bookworm, and to be honest, initially I was skeptical about the efficacy of this game. Perhaps, this is because I have seen a copious amount of similar games proliferated throughout the internet. Its only redeeming quality was the fact that it would occasionally give definitions to the words that you spelled, which I found good for expanding vocabulary. It seems like something that could be quite useful, but only to a somewhat narrow group of kids; kids who have English as a second language or certain disabilities, like dyslexia, may not benefit much from this game. The reason why I believe that kids who have English as a second language (ESL) might not benefit much from this game is because the game does not read out the letters you select, the words you spell, or the definitions it displays. For ESL students, it might only be useful for them if they are already intermediate English speakers.
In terms of my content area, this game would not be particularly helpful or very relevant. Even if I challenged my students to spell math related vocabulary words, it is more than likely that if given the definition, the math related definition would not pop up. If I were to ever use an online game as an assignment for my students in the future, I think I would only use it as addi-tional practice, or perhaps use it as a way to appeal to different kinds of learners (“NETS”, 2000, II. A). According to an online article by Terry Farewell the learners that would benefit most from learning in a “traditional” classroom environment would be auditory learners, however, I have heard that most people are visual learners (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic Learners, n.d., para. 5). So, for most students, it might be hard to learn math in a traditional classroom setting. Maybe instead of homework I would utilize a game that not only presented a math problem in a much more visual or concrete way that still incorporates the use of audio.
This Project was a very enriching experience. Although our group had some disagreements, overall we agreed on the criteria for our rubrics, which we derived from the highlights of our game. Our game was not relevant to my content area in particular, so I am unable to use this particular game in my class in the future. However, there are games out there that I am sure I can utilize and hopefully use to appeal to different types of learning styles.
Farewell, T. (n.d). Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic Learners.
Retrieved October 6, 2011, from Family Education website:
http://school.familyeducation.com/intelligence/teaching-methods/38519.html
International Society for Technology in Education. (2000). ISTE National
Educational Technology Standards (NETS) and Performance Indicators For
Teachers.Retrieved October 6, 2011, from:
http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2000.sflb.ashx
No comments:
Post a Comment